Around week 35 of your pregnancy, you will want to put together your hospital bag essentials. Speaking from experience, babies can surprise you by coming early, and to make your hospital experience the best it can be it is best to be prepared.
I had my first son at 36-weeks after going to a routine appointment and learning I had preeclampsia and needed to be induced immediately. I didn’t even have time to go home.
The good news is both me and my son were healthy after that whirlwind entrance into motherhood. Plus, the experience taught me that the hospital provides everything that you need for both you and the baby during your stay. That said there are some things you can pack that will definitely make your stay more comfortable and memorable.
As I prepare to give birth for the fourth time I decided to share my own hospital bag essentials with you. My goal is to help you pack your own hospital bag with ease.
Hospital Bag Essentials for Mom
- Hospital registration paperwork (if necessary)
- A copy of your birth plan (if you have one)
- Pillow from home
- Cozy socks
- Gown (if bringing your own, I didn’t)
- Water bottle with a straw
- Airpods and/ or portable speaker (this one is a great deal!)
- Scrunchie or hair ties
- Slippers or sandals
- Make-up bag
- Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, deoderant, face wipes, hair brush)
- Bath towel (optional)
- Shower sandals
- Nursing tanks and/or nursing bras
- Nipple Cream
- Loose fitting bottoms (these are a steal– just size up)
- Button front or nursing-friendly pajamas
- Nursing cover (optional)
- Electric heating pad (you can thank me later)
- Soft blanket (it can be pretty chilly)
- Coming Home Outfit- I recommend this simple dress from Kindred Bravely. Trust me you don’t want something on your waist and you will still have a little bump.
What To Pack For Dad
- Camera + batteries + charger
- Portable charger
- Laptop + charger
- Phone charger
- Lightweight sweatshirt
Hospital Bag Essentials for Baby
- Infant car seat (properly installed)
- Mittens for baby
- Socks for baby
- Coming home outfit baby
- Swaddle blanket
- Pacifiers (if you plan to use them)
- Name sign (for announcements)
You may also want to check out my Baby Registry List here- My Baby Registry Essentials [what you really need + what is worth the splurge!]