Are you planning a family movie night soon and are looking for some movie night ideas? Family friendly TV shows and movies can be a great way for families to bond and spend quality time together.
With so many options to choose from, it can be hard to know where to start. Well, do not worry, we did the work for you, below we have highlighted some of the best family-friendly TV shows and movies for families to enjoy together.
Movie Night Ideas – 52 of the best Family-Friendly Movies
- Paul Blart Mall Cop 1 & 2 (2 is Shea’s Favorite Movie of all time)
- Legally Blonde (all of them- Ella’s Faves)
- Top Gun and the new one
- Grown Ups 1 & 2
- Lego movie
- Princess & The Frog
- Daddy Daycare
- Toy Story (all)
- The Karate Kid
- Finding Nemo
- Inside out
- Harry Potter (all of them- Ella loved these)
- Remember The Titans
- Wreck It Ralph (one of Liv’s Favorites)
- Turning Red (also one of Liv’s Faves)
- Jurassic Park (all)
- Marvel (all, avengers ones are their faves)
- Jumanji (new ones)
- The INcredibles (all)
- Maleficent (ella loved this one, so did I)
- Beauty & The Beast (cartoon & Live action)
- Despicable Me
- The Rise of Gru
- Soul (Liv loves this one)
- Mulan (live action, but Owen LOVES the cartoon)
- Queen of Katawe
- Luca (liv and ella loved)
- Encanto (me and livvy loved)
- Up (mike and amber love)
- Lion King
- Mrs Doubtfire
- How To Train a Dragon
- Alice In Wonderland (new ones Ella loved)
- Ratatouille (Ella and Shea love)
- Wall E (Liv loved)
- Zootopia (liv loved)
- Willy Wonka (Johnny Depp version)
- 10 Things I Hate About You (Ella loves)
- To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before (me and Ella loved)
- The Hate You Give
- Mean Girls
- Abominable (Liv loved)
- Descendants (Liv)
- The Blind Side
Movie Night Ideas – 77 Family Friendly TV Shows
TV Shows are an easier way to get teens on board. The commitment isn’t overwhelming the way a whole movie can be. Some of our teens’ favorites are Brooklyn 99, Impractical Jokers, and Ted Lasso. But, the highlighted ones below are all ones we enjoy watching in our home.
- Peppa Pig
- Ben & Holly
- Inspector Gadget
- Marvel on Disney +
- New Girl– not sure what the appropriate age is
- Gilmore Girls- – not sure what the appropriate age is
- Cooking/ Baking shows
- Making Fun Together
- Star Wars series
- National Treasure series
- Amazing Race
- Wednesday- Ella watches- not sure what the appropriate age is
- Secrets of Sulpher Springs Dis+
- The Mysterious Benedict Society
- Little House on the Prairie
- The Waltons
- Sister Sister
- The Fosters
- Secret Life of the American Teenager
- Abbot Elementary
- The Floor is Lava (Netflix)
- The Goldbergs
- Fresh off the boat
- MIght Ducks Game Changers
- Lego Masters
- Blown Away
- Fuller House
- Live Sports
- The Last Of Us
- Finding bigfoot
- The Chosen
- Once Upon a Time
- Modern Family
- Community- not sure what the appropriate age is
- Brooklyn 99– not sure what the appropriate age is
- Stranger Things – not sure what the appropriate age is
- The Voice
- Kamp Koral paramount+
- Harry Danger
- Domino Masters
- The Middle
- Boy Meets World
- Avenger movies
- Fixer Upper
- Magnolia Table
- Guys Grocery Games
- Just add Magic
- Nailed It
- American Ninja Warrior- Liv and Owen love this one
- Locke & Key (Netflix)
- Shark Tank- Mike is a big fan
- Cobra Kai
- Kim Possible
- New Amsterdam
- Great British Baking Show
- Top Chef
- Is It Cake? Liv loves this one
- Kids Baking Championship- Liv again
- Lost in space
- Good Luck Charlie- all my kids have loved this series
- Jessie- they all liked this one too
- Masked Singer
- Mako Mermaids (netflix)
- Phineas & Ferb
- The Clause
- Hey Arnold
- Sesame Street
Other Family Movie Night Ideas – Family-Friendly Games
Family night is a time when families can come together and enjoy each other’s company through various activities and games. It’s a great way to bond and create memories that will last a lifetime. Want a full list of family-friendly games for your next family game night? Check out our list here.
Pin it for later: Family Movie Night Ideas – 129 Awesome Movies & TV Shows for Families
If you enjoyed reading about our movie night ideas, you might also enjoy:
Frequently Asked Questions – Family Movie Night Ideas
What are good ideas for a movie night?
Movie nights are a great way to relax and enjoy some quality time with friends and family. Here are some other ideas to make your movie night extra special:
Pick a theme – Choose a theme for your movie night, such as a specific genre (e.g. action, comedy, romance), decade, or a particular movie franchise (e.g. Marvel, Star Wars, Harry Potter).
Snack bar – Set up a snack bar with a variety of sweet and savory treats, such as popcorn, candy, chips, and dip. You can also have a drink station with soda, juice, and other beverages.
Decorations – Add some decorations to make your movie night feel special, such as movie posters, movie-themed balloons, and a red carpet.
At-home theater setup – Create an at-home theater experience by dimming the lights, setting up a large screen or projector, and having comfortable seating for everyone.
Costumes – Encourage everyone to dress up as their favorite movie characters for a fun and festive atmosphere.
Trivia contest – Before the movie starts, hold a trivia contest based on the movie or movie franchise you’re watching.
Interactive viewing experience – For a more interactive viewing experience, try playing a movie-themed drinking game or bingo, where players check off certain events or quotes as they happen in the movie.
Have a sleepover – If you have children, make it a sleepover movie night with blankets, pillows, and sleeping bags.
What food to buy for a movie night?
When it comes to food for movie night, the options are endless. Here are some popular snack and food options to consider buying for your movie night:
Popcorn – Popcorn is a classic movie snack and can be flavored in many different ways, such as butter, cheese, caramel, and more.
Candy – Stock up on a variety of candies, such as gummy bears, chocolates, and licorice, for a sweet treat during the movie.
Chips and dips – Chips and dips are a great snack to share with friends and family. Try different flavors of chips, such as tortilla, kettle, and potato, and dips like guacamole, salsa, and cheese.
Ice cream – If you want a cold and creamy treat, consider buying a variety of ice cream flavors and toppings, such as hot fudge, sprinkles, and whipped cream.
Pizza – If you want a more substantial meal during your movie night, consider ordering a large pizza with toppings of your choice.
Pretzels – Pretzels are a great snack for movie night, and you can serve them plain or with a dipping sauce, such as mustard or cheese.
Hot dogs – If you want a classic movie snack, consider grilling hot dogs and serving them with various toppings, such as ketchup, mustard, and cheese.
Nachos – Nachos are a popular snack for movie night, and you can make them with tortilla chips, cheese, salsa, guacamole, and any other toppings of your choice.