When I first started incorporating vegan recipes into my lifestyle, I was on the hunt for some of the best vegan cookbooks. After some time trying these recipes and experimenting with ingredients I enjoyed and loved, I started creating my own favorite vegan recipes. One recipe I created, that quickly became a family favorite is my vegan tikka masala recipe!
This recipe is not only really delicious, it also is super easy to make for you and your family!
Our Vegan Tikka Masala Recipe
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 white potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (2-inch) piece of fresh ginger, finely minced (or sub with ginger paste)
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 (28 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) can chickpeas
- 1 (14 oz) can sweet peas
- 1 (14 oz) can of full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Dash of ground black pepper
- Chopped cilantro to garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Peel and cube potatoes, sprinkle with 1 tbsp olive oil and sea salt. Bake for 18-20 min tossing halfway through
- Heat remaining olive oil in large pan (The Perfect Pot from Our Place) And add onion. Cook until translucent. Add garlic and a pinch of salt. Add ginger and remaining spices. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add diced tomatoes bring to a boil and simmer for 15 min.
- Use immersion blender to blend (optional)
- Add sweet potatoes, chick peas and sweet peas. Stir in coconut milk. Cook for 5-7 min
- While that cooks make a slurry with corn starch + 2 tbsp water in a small dish
- Add that to pot and stir until thickened 3-5 min
- Taste and adjust spices as needed
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro
- Serve with basmati rice and naan bread
What Do You Need to Make Vegan Tikka Masala?
Awhile back I wanted to intentionally start living a more non-toxic and healthy lifestyle. One of the changes I made was switching my cookware to non-toxic. You can read more about that here. For our vegan tikka masala recipe, I went ahead and listed below all the cookware items I used to make it!
When I first purchased an Our Place item, it was the Always Pan, which we LOVED! When Our Place designed the “Perfect Pot” I knew I had to add that to my non-toxic cookware. This pot does everything from boiling to baking, crisping to steam! We highly recommend it. Check it out here.
A immersion blender is a must-have for me when it comes to cooking for my family! If you do not know what an immersion blender is, it is a kitchen tool used to blend, puree, or emulsify food. They are often used to make soups, sauces, and smoothies. It is optional for my vegan tikka masala recipe, but it really does make the job easier! Check it out here.
To bake the sweet and white potatoes for my vegan tikka masala recipe you are also going to need a baking sheet! Check it out here.
What to Serve with Vegan Tikka Masala?
Vegan Tikka Masala is a flavorful and delicious dish that can be served with a variety of sides to make a complete and satisfying meal. Some popular options include:
Basmati rice is a traditional choice to serve with Tikka Masala. It can be cooked plain or flavored with cumin, turmeric, or other spices.
Naan is a traditional Indian flatbread that is perfect for scooping up the delicious sauce of the Tikka Masala. It can be found at most grocery stores or made at home.
Roti is another type of Indian flatbread that is similar to naan. It is a great option for those following a gluten-free diet.
A simple side salad with greens, tomatoes, and cucumber can provide a refreshing contrast to the rich flavors of the Tikka Masala.
Chutney or Raita
Chutney and raita are traditional Indian condiments that are often served with spicy dishes. Chutney is a sweet and sour sauce, while raita is a yogurt-based sauce that can cool down the heat from the spices.
Lentils can be a great side dish to vegan Tikka Masala. They can be cooked with spices and can be a source of protein and fiber.
Quinoa is a gluten-free alternative to rice and is high in protein. It can be cooked with spices and herbs to complement the flavors of the Tikka Masala.
Roasting vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, and eggplant can add a nice contrast to the creamy tikka masala and provide a good source of vitamins and minerals.
All in all, there are many options for sides to serve with Vegan Tikka Masala to make a complete and satisfying meal. It’s all about personal preference and dietary restrictions.
Pin-it For Later: Delicious and Easy Vegan Tikka Masala
If you enjoyed our Vegan Tikka Masala Recipe, you might also enjoy:
- Delicious Almond Cow Vegan Chocolate Cashew Milk Recipe - November 17, 2023
- 25 Festive and Unique Disney Christmas Shirts - October 11, 2023
- 10 of the Most Gorgeous Cape Cod Rentals for Your Next Vacation - September 29, 2023