We are about to add an entire year of Family Fun Challenges to our lives, come join us! Our family of seven is about to launch an awesome experiment in family bonding. We are kicking off an entire year devoted to having the MOST FUN POSSIBLE as a family by committing to spend 38 minutes together each & every day doing something fun and exciting! We invite YOU to read along and hopefully join in by taking our #38Minutes One Month Challenge- it’s a simple one day a week for a month commitment.
Welcome to #38Minutes- Let the Family Fun Challenges Begin
Why 38 Minutes?
For the past 3 years, our family of 7 has been traveling the globe together and documenting it right here on our blog. We’ve gotten really great at spending quality time together unplugged from the rest of the world. BUT… when we come home from our trips we are always so busy it feels like our quality time, well, it kind of stinks!
Turns out we aren’t the only ones. We came across a study that states that families only spend 38 minutes of quality time together each day. When you compare that number to the 10 hours a day spent on digital devices it just doesn’t seem right.
Did you know that on average families only spend #38minutes together per day but are on devices 10 hours a day? Click To Tweet
So, we decided to take our #38minutes back. We are challenging ourselves, and welcoming other families to join in on our challenge, to do something AWESOME EVERY DAY for at least #38minutes together as a family. Think epic family fun challenges, goofy taste test contests, food challenge fun, games, and more! Oh, and don’t forget the CRAZY punishments for the losing team. (Those sardine hot dogs were disgusting!)
What is the #38Minutes Challenge?
Starting this Wednesday (Nov. 8th) we are committing to spend our #38Minutes a day together as a family doing something EXTRAORDINARY! This includes crazy family fun challenges, food competitions, hilarious punishments and more! To make sure that we stick to our commitment we are documenting the entire process on YouTube with crazy family fun challenges and pure ridiculousness each month.
You can subscribe to our YouTube Channel here (or by clicking on our caricatures below) to follow along, make sure to turn on your notifications (click the little bell) so you know when we post a new video!
Of course, we will also have super fun family travel videos like the one below because we still strongly feel that traveling together is one of the best ways to bond as a family. We will cover family-friendly destinations, hotel & resort reviews, travel tips & more! There will be one NEW travel video released each weekend!
What We Hope to Gain from the #38Minutes Challenge
- Create Amazing Memories with Our Kids
- Have More Fun Together as a Family
- Create Stronger Family Bonds
- Make the Most Out of the Time We Have Together
- Laugh More Than We Ever Have
- Help Our Kids Develop Better Relationships
Family Bonding + Adoption
Family bonding is important in any family but when you are an adoptive family it is even more important. Especially, when you adopt children who have already lived with another family. There are key bonding and attachment sequences that occur naturally during birth- 5 years old and when they are missed it is more difficult to connect and form those integral family bonds.
I know this personally as our son, Shea, came into our family around age 4 (read more about his adoption story here) and for us, bonding has been something we have struggled with over the past 7 years. Traveling with Shea helped us a ton but we feel that adding this next element into our family will help our attachment grow even deeper with Shea and the rest of our children. I imagine that setting aside time to truly focus on having fun together will have a profound positive effect and I am super excited to get started!
Articles about Family Time
- Families Spend Less Than 40 Minutes a Day Together
- Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation?
- If You Want to Raise Good Kids, Harvard Researchers Suggest These 7 Tips
- 9 Ways to Maximize Family Time
- Why Family Time Is So Important
Take the 1 Day a Week for a Month, we dare you!!
Now it is YOUR turn, we would LOVE to have you join in on our challenge. Our hope is that if a family of 7 can commit to an entire year other families might consider committing to quality family time for #38minutes one day a week for one month. If you are interested in learning more check out our #38Minutes Challenge page here.
Family Board Games We Love!
Ticket to Ride is a great family game. The game is a mixture of luck and strategy so it is great for kids 8 and up in my opinion.
This classic board game is one of our family favorites. Our kids absolutely love this game. The mystery is super fun and has been a favorite for years.
Spoons is an amazing game to play with the kids. You can buy this set, but you can also just use spoons from home and a deck of cards. This game is great as it is one where all ages can play.
We recently just started playing Sequence. It has sat on our shelves for years and it turns out it is a ton of fun. The game is easy to understand and can be played by anyone 7 and up.
Fun Challenges we have tried with our Family
We hope to provide tons of resources so that families who want to join the #38Minutes Challenge can check in here and use our site as a resource. Check out the videos of all the challenges we have tried so far.
- Straight Arm Water Bottle Challenge
- Whisper Challenge
- Ultimate 3 Legged Race
- Egg Wars
- Donut Roulette
- Not My Hands Ice Cream Challenge
- Indoor Bowling
Check out The Genius of Play for more fun activities to do with your kids at home!
Fun Games to Play with Your Family
We love playing games together and with our new #38Minutes Family Fun Challenges we have been stocking up. Check out some of our favorite games to play with your family below.
- Watch Ya’ Mouth Throwdown Edition– an evolution of the original, wildly popular, hilarious Watch Ya’ Mouth game. Rather than just speak phrases, players now go head-to-head with hilarious and challenging tasks – while wearing mouthpieces. Throwdown Edition takes competition – and laughter – to the next level and builds on the multigenerational gaming phenomena. Throwdown Edition has already been Awarded Top Holiday Toy of 2017 by Toy Insider & selected for the 2017 Amazon Holiday Toy List. RECIEVE 15% OFF with COUPON CODE: 15THROWDOWN
Check out our HILARIOUS attempt at playing Watch Ya’ Mouth Throwdown Editon-
- Reindeer Ring Toss– Pop on the reindeer antlers and take turns trying to toss rings onto them.
- Lay It Or Break It Action Game– Get into this crazy race where you try to save eggs from the frying pan and take them back to the safety of their nest. To players, at the same time, will try to move the eggs without breaking them.
- Flickin Chicken- Chicken is a crazy new yard game played with. rubber chickens! Players toss the target to get started, then take turns flicking’ their chicken at the target.
- Watch Ya’ Mouth Family Edition– the original Watch Ya’ Mouth Game.
- Googly Eyes Game- Googly Eyes is the hilarious family game that challenges your vision and leaves you googling for more! Put on the zany, vision-altering google eyeglasses and start to draw while your team tries to guess what you’re drawing.
- HedBanz Game- Play Hedbanz, the quick question game of “What am I?” Ask “yes” or “no” questions to figure out if the cartoon on your head is an animal, food or man-made object. Be the first player to guess what you are and win! Hedbanz – the game where everybody knows by you!
How do you create quality family bonding time in your home? Let us know in the comments below.
Pin it for Later-