Finding the perfect spring break location can be tricky for families as college students take over some of the most popular vacation destinations. That being said, we only get 18 summers with our kids, so it is important to make each school vacation count! I have compiled a list of the ultimate Spring Break Destinations for families below for this very reason.
Whether you are looking to spend spring break with the fam on the slopes, on a beach, or in a saddle… I’ve got some awesome family-friendly recommendations for you!
I have broken down the list below into beach vacations, all-inclusive resorts, ski destinations, Disney trips, and more. I have made sure to include plenty of options to appeal to every member of the family + tips on how to SAVE money on your family’s spring break.
The Best Spring Break Beach Destinations
After a long winter, a beach vacation really can hit the spot. Here are some of our favorite places to enjoy the beach and some beautiful sunny weather. Grab your swimsuit because it’s time for some fun in the sun!
Disney’s Aulani Resort & Spa In Hawaii
One of my family’s ALL-TIME FAVORITE RESORTS is Disney’s Aulani. The resort is incredible, it is everything you expect out of a luxury stay with the added bonus of amazing Disney service.
You do not even need to leave the hotel to have an epic vacation. There is so much to do at Aulani from amazing pools, incredible water slides, a beautiful beach, character breakfasts, an amazing luau, and incredible restaurants.
We LOVE the numerous Complimentary Activities at Aulani including:
- Free kids camp at Aunty’s Beach House
- Menehune Adventure trail
- Hula Lessons with characters
- Gorgeous Beaches
- Fireside Storytelling
- Character meet-ups
- Movies under the stars
- Teen areas & more
Ways to Save:
- You can save up to 50% off Rooms by Booking a Disney Vacation Club Villa through David’s Vacation Club Rentals – (Basically, Disney has a Vacation Ownership similar to a timeshare at Disney’s Aulani, some of those owners can’t go every year so the rent out their time at the resort. You will save a ton of money. You can read all about renting Vacation Club rooms here)
30A in Florida
We just visited 30A and absolutely fell in love with it. Everybody is riding bikes or cruising on golf carts. Talk about idyllic! The white sand beaches are incredible and all the homes and hotels are stunning. It is seriously the perfect beach town to spend spring break in.
Plus, spring is actually the best time to visit. There are crowds but nothing compared to summer and the weather is perfect. Check out my full review of 30A here.
One of my favorite places on the planet is Coronado, California. It has some of the most beautiful soft white sand beaches in Southern California. There are so many things to do in Coronado for families. Our favorites include s’mores on the beach, jet-skiing along the coast, and running around the dog beach.
Where to Stay in Coronado:
Loews Coronado Bay Resort is located in a prime location on Coronado Island. This hotel offers SO MUCH for local SoCal families to do.
- Excellent pools
- Beach service (they actually take you and your fam over to a gorgeous beach in a golf cart and help set up chairs etc… for you)
- Kids Club (seasonal)
- Gifts for the kids (when available)
- They are Pet-Friendly too!
Terranea, Ranchos Palos Verdes in Los Angeles, California
As California natives, we are always on the hunt for the next best staycation spot. I admit finding places near Los Angeles that offer a true escape can be tough. However, just 20 minutes from LAX is Terranea, one of my absolute favorite resorts worldwide, where you truly feel like you have escaped from everything.
The resort is stunning with over 100 acres of land to hike and explore. While at the resort, you’ll find four large pools, 2 with beautiful ocean views and one of which even has a waterslide.
There are many fun activities to do on the property including nine holes of golf, archery, falconry, horseback riding, and more. It is an incredible resort for the whole family.
On our last visit, we stayed in one of Terranea’s Casitas. This 3-room casita is perfect for any family looking for a place to get away from it all. You have a living room and kitchen, and an outdoor fireplace for smores, and an indoor one as well. Then, you step out onto your deck for an incredible view of the ocean. I highly recommend booking this accommodation for an extended spring break stay!
San Diego, California
If you are from Southern California like us, San Diego is the perfect day trip! It truly is one of the best spring break destinations for families looking to keep things budget-friendly. There is seemingly an endless amount of things to do in San Diego for kids (and many of them are free)!
When you are in San Diego you can easily visit the San Diego Zoo, stroll through Balboa Park Museums, see a baseball game at Petco Park, go hiking, visit the San Diego tide pools or La Jolla Caves, kayak and more!
Where to Stay:
We recently stayed at the Kona Kai Resort & Spa and absolutely fell in love. You can’t beat the amazing location on San Diego’s historic Shelter Island (just 10 minutes from the San Diego airport). It is the perfect place for families because you are close to all of the popular San Diego attractions too!
The property boasts a great kid-friendly pool AND the Paloma Adults-Only Pool, a private beach, a 7,020-square-foot state-of-the-art spa, an incredible restaurant on-property, complimentary beach cruisers, and nightly bonfires. To top it all off, the views of the marina are just gorgeous. Check prices for this gorgeous family-friendly resort here.
If you have a large family or are traveling with a group, then I recommend checking out your Airbnb options in San Diego. There are some incredible options for big groups!
I had no idea, Tampa Bay was such a delightful city. I have passed right over it and gone to Orlando numerous times, but a recent trip opened my eyes. It is a beautiful city that is clean as can be and very family-friendly. You can take the kids along the three-mile river walk which has everything from Children’s Museums to food venues, an arts district, boating adventures and so much more. Also, make sure to visit ZooTampa! We had a blast there.
Check out everything to do in Tampa here, it is definitely worth a visit.
All-Inclusive Resorts for a Stress-Free Spring Break
All-inclusive vacations are one of my favorite Spring break ideas. There is nothing better than having your vacation prepaid so once you arrive, all you have to worry about is having a good time.
Soneva Resort Maldives
This is one of the most magical places on earth. Soneva is absolutely stunning. You will not find better service, food, or an overall more incredible place to stay in your life. This place is the ultimate bucket list destination and spring just happens to be the perfect time to visit as the weather is ideal.
Currently, they have one of the best deals I have ever seen Soneva offer where up to 4 kids can stay complimentary and it will include full board (all meals).
Finest Playa Mujeres in Mexico – Our Favorite All-Inclusive!
This was probably our favorite trip last year. Finest Resorts sets all-inclusive to a new level. There are incredible activities for everyone in the family. The kids club was my daughter’s favorite of every resort we have been to (it even has its own water park).
The food is top-notch, there are tons of fun water sports, and the rooms… well they are beyond amazing. With swim-up suites available (pictured above) your family will be in heaven at this resort. (You can check out my full review soon!)
The price of rooms is from $450 and up for a family of four and that includes pretty much everything, all your dining, activities, cocktails, room service, entertainment and more!
Hard Rock Hotel in Cancun, Mexico
- Mexico is one of my favorite warm-weather escapes and a great one to add to your list of Spring break ideas. The beaches are some of the most gorgeous in the world. There are plenty of affordable luxury resorts that are also kid-friendly and Hard Rock Cancun happens to be one that we could keep going back to OVER & OVER.
- This resort is actually incredibly family-friendly (YES REALLY) they have amazing food, a beautiful beach, and excellent cocktails. Plus a ton of included activities for the kids.
- Included Kid-Friendly Activities at the Hard Rock Cancun:
- Barney, Thomas the Train, Angelina Ballerina and Bob the Builder characters + LIVE Shows
- Awesome Kids Club
- Teen areas with unique experiences like “Learn to DJ”, make a rock band music video.
- Amazing Pools + Beaches
- Poolside crafts, ice cream, water balloon fights & more
- See why Hard Rock Cancun ROCKED our Family Vacation here
- Included Kid-Friendly Activities at the Hard Rock Cancun:
Tanque Verde Ranch in Tucson, Arizona
Not every all-inclusive has to be a beach or international destination, you can also enjoy some down-home fun and hit up a dude ranch.
If you are looking to do something new that is both an amazing experience and also an incredible lesson in bravery and independence I CANNOT recommend Tanque Verde Ranch enough. It’s WONDERFUL!!!
I wasn’t sure that my family would like a dude ranch experience. My boys (and husband) had ZERO riding experience. But, it ended up being our favorite vacation in 2015. Read all about our experience here.
This AMAZING resort is also ALL-INCLUSIVE so meals, lodging, riding lessons, trail rides, kids club and more are included. During Spring Break they are running some fantastic promotions.
Take a Royal Caribbean Cruise
Our entire family can attest that the Royal Caribbean Symphony of the Seas and the Icon are both amazing spring break ideas for families. These massive ships boast an incredible range of amenities and activities that are sure to delight kids and parents alike.
They offer something for everyone and make for a stress-free vacation!
Ski Spring Break Destinations for Families
Ski destinations are oftentimes a great family vacation and a great one to add to your Spring break ideas list. It’s a great way to sneak in one last chance to hit the slopes before the season is done for good.
Northstar Resort in Tahoe, California
- This resort is incredibly family-friendly and they have received an EPIC amount of snow this year making it one AMAZING ski destination. Check out all the amazing activities you can do with the kids BOTH on & off the slopes here.
- Tahoe is located near three major airports, you can drive in, or take the train so there are plenty of ways to get there. Southwest flys in which is a great option that is also budget-friendly.
- Plus they are often running deals for spring break. You can find lodging as low as $159 a night.
- If you want to go Super Luxe check out the Ritz Carlton at Northstar! It is Amazing. Check Prices Here!
Another great option to get outdoors in California is the National Parks. Check out these 28 Epic National Parks in California from our friend Park Ranger John.
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
- Another super family-friendly ski destination with TONS to do with the kids. Our family enjoyed dog-sledding, bumper cars on ice and snowboarding. Read my ULTIMATE Guide to Steamboat Springs with Kids here.
- Steamboat has some great spring break deals going on including 50% off your second night and 25% off rates and rental packages. See their deals page for details.
Park City & Deer Valley in Utah
- We have now taken three ski trips to Park City!
- If you want to go luxe but still have it affordable, check out the Silver Baron Lodge in Deer Valley
- If you want to go Ultra-Luxe, check out the Stein Eriksen Lodge. It is unbelievable!
- Each room comes with its own hot tub, and the rooms are massive. Our room slept over 16 people.
- Check out my full Deer Valley review here!
Family Spring Break Adventures to Enjoy the Great Outdoors
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite National Park in California
We have visited Yosemite several times and while I used to rough it with my family as a child. I absolutely love the luxury of staying at Tenaya Lodge. They now have new family cabins that give you the feel of staying in the great outdoors without the whole roughing it aspect.
There are plenty of ways to immerse yourself in the riches of the park, including hiking some of the many great trails, mountain bike riding, rock climbing, archery, and more! Yosemite is absolutely breathtaking and Tenaya Lodge offers one of the best ways to enjoy it. (You can check out my complete guide Tenaya here)
- If you are looking for the most scenic spring break idea, you can’t find a more beautiful place than Banff, Canada. This is probably my favorite place I have visited in years.
- There is so much more to do than skiing (you can check out my things to do in Banff review here)
- Looking for a luxurious place to stay for your family. Check out the Moose Lodge & Suites, the rooms can sleep up to 10 people and the rooftop pool and spa are definitely worth a visit.
Knoxville & Chattanooga Tennessee
Tennessee might night be on the top of your spring break ideas list, but let me tell you, it’s an absolute blast. We visited both Knoxville and Chattanooga and both cities could not be more beautiful and more kid-friendly.
In Knoxville, check out the Ijams Nature Center. This is not your typical ziplining, there is an amazing ropes course and you are set back amongst thousands of trees. For little ones, the zoo is absolutely adorable and the Muse children’s museum is a ton of fun. When you are hungry, head over to Market square, it’s a great place to grab a bite to eat and just hang out. Check out our full list of things to do in Knoxville.
Where to Stay:
I recommend staying at THE TENNESSEAN, the rooms are beautiful and they have super spacious double king rooms with two showers for families.
Over in Chattanooga, there is a ton of activities to do and so many are withing walking distance. The highlight of our trip was high-point climbing. It is one of the biggest rock climbing gyms.
It is perfect for families as it has different areas for small kids and older kids as well. If you are daring head outside and climb their outdoor climbing wall.
You should also check out the Tennessee Aquarium, Children’s Museum, Rocky Point and Ruby Falls. Check out our best things to do in Chattanooga for families.
Where to Stay:
I recommend staying at The Read House. It is a throwback to the days of the Great Gatsby. The hotel has corner double rooms so if you have a large family you can turn the two rooms into a giant suite. There is a great indoor pool, and honestly, you can’t beat the service.
Our first ever adventure type travel trip was to Costa Rica and it was INCREDIBLE! Yes, getting to Costa Rica can be costly but once you get there it is very affordable.
There is so much to do in Costa Rica from whitewater rafting to horseback riding, flying on ziplines, to hanging out with sloths. We enjoyed amazing mud baths from hot springs and maybe the fastest natural water slide on earth.
- Book an Airbnb Rental to save on accommodations, food and activities are already offered at incredible values once you are there 🙂
- Check out some of our Costa Rica experiences here
Spring Break Ideas – City Escapes
Washington DC – One of our favorite places to go for Spring Break
Washington D.C. in the springtime is definitely the best time to visit. The weather is not hot and swampy like in the summer and not freezing cold like the winter, plus you have the benefit of seeing the Cherry Blossoms in bloom + fewer crowds
DC has a ton of FREE museums to explore, parks perfect for picnics and you get the added benefit of squeezing in a few awesome history lessons too! Some of our favorite things to do in Washington DC was the spy museum, riding bikes through the Washington Mall, and of course the amazing monuments. You can check out everything to do in D.C. for Kids
For the education alone, you should add Washington DC to your list of Spring break ideas for the Family!
We could not figure out where to categorize Portland Oregon on our Spring Break Destination, it is both a city destination and also a quite unusual destination. Portland loves its quirkiness, in fact they embrace it.
The city is filled with fun things to do for families. There are amazing places to eat, (we ate a lot of donuts and Ice cream) incredible shows and plenty of active things to do.
We absolutely loved being able to bike around the city. We also took a trip around Portland to see many of their amazing waterfalls. Plus, there are broadway-style shows and some fun sporting events to check out. There honestly is an endless amount of things you can do in Portland, Oregon. Check it out here
Let’s talks some of the unusal things you can do in Portland, there are restaurants that are inside a school bus, you can visit the world’s smallest park, you can go on a mural hunt (there are some interesting ones), and of course, there is a museum of horrors.
Arizona Spring Break Ideas for a Sunny Vacation
Arizona is such a fun place to go for spring break. You can enjoy all the baseball games during spring training. It is so fun to check out the games in these small intimate ballparks.
They also have a ton of other things to do including hikes, shopping in luxurious Scottsdale, or dining at some true Farm to table restaurants. It is a blast.
- There are 3 Family-Friendly Resorts we recommend when visiting AZ with kids in tow.
- 1) The Arizona Grand
- We love their on-site water park and super fun family restaurant, where kids get to enter the restaurant by wearing a bull horn hat and sliding down a slide.
- Check out Why we LOVE this resort in further detail by reading this post here.
- Find current rates for the Arizona Grand here.
- 2) Loews Ventana Hotel
- 3) Hilton El Conquistador
Disney Spring Break Vacation Ideas
The Iconic Disney World Vacation
Disney World is the iconic spring break vacation for families and it can both be quite luxurious and very affordable too. We love staying at Disney’s Beach Club, but there are a ton of more affordable options and some incredible Disney World themed Airbnbs.
Disney World has 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, plus an incredible shopping and dining area at Disney Springs. So, whether you are into adrenaline producing rides, parades, fine dining, or just relaxing at the hotel and spa, Disney World has something for everyone.
How to Save Money at Disney World
Disney has 9 Deluxe Properties on their property, our personal favorites are Beach Club and Animal Kingdom. When you book a room through a DVC Member you can save close to 50% on your room. We highly recommend people use David’s Vacation Rentals to book their rooms and save 50% off as they have the largest inventory of DVC Rooms.
A Disney Cruise is another great option. There are so many things we love about the ship, like how the kids club is included and amazing. You can check how much a Disney Cruise costs here.
Cruise on the New Disney Wish
As a mom, I can confidently say that cruising on the Disney Wish is a perfect spring break idea for families. With its unparalleled entertainment and activities, delicious dining options, and top-notch service, the Disney Wish ensures that both parents and kids will have a blast.
We were able to experience the inaugural Disney Wish Cruise! Read all about it and our review here!
Disneyland & Anaheim
Why not visit the park that started it all? Disneyland! Disneyland is still my favorite theme park in the world and its next-door neighbor California Adventure is fantastic as well.
However, there is so much more to do in the city that hosts Disneyland, Anaheim. You can fly through a trapeze, see a medieval tournament, fly a jet simulator, take in major sporting events and so much more. You can check out everything to do in Anaheim here, it is an amazing destination for families.
If you have any questions about any of these Spring Break Ideas? Let us know in the comments or send us a DM on Instagram.
You might also enjoy:
Pin for Later – 23 Incredible Spring Break Ideas for Families in 2024 [Luxury & Affordable]
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best place to visit for Spring Break in 2024?
San Diego, Ca.
Disney Wold & Disneyland
Park City, Utah
Lake Tahoe, California
The White House
Road Trip around the United States
Where Can I go on an Affordable Spring Break Vacation in 2024?
San Diego, Ca.
Royal Caribbean Cruise
Where can families go for spring break in California?
What are educational places to take kids on Spring Break?
Science museums (highly recommend the Kennedy Space Center)
Zoos or Amusement Parks
- Complete Tropical Vacation Packing List: Essentials for Sun and Sand! - February 16, 2024
- The EXACT Steps I Took To Balance My Hormones [and have my healthiest pregnancy at age 39] - February 13, 2024
- The Best Things To Do In Oahu with Kids [25 amazing activities] - February 10, 2024