A whopping 80% of women face hormonal imbalances*, so it looks like we are NOT alone in our struggles. The crazy fact is that even though so many of us suffer from symptoms caused by our hormonal imbalances most times our physicians shrug it off as just being a woman.
But, I am here to tell you it’s not normal! You deserve to feel better, this is why I am sharing the 6 steps I took to balance my hormones.
*Before we dive in I have to do the legal thing and remind you that I am not a trained medical professional, we are just friends and I am just sharing my own experience. You absolutely should seek your medical professional for advice.
My Hormonal Journey
Irregular periods, painful period cramps, excessive perspiration, acne… these were all things I dealt with from age 14-35. No one ever told me they were signs of an imbalance. In fact, at every doctor visit, I was reassured that I was normal and healthy. So, I never thought twice about it.
I was pregnant at the age of 20 and had preeclampsia with each of my first three pregnancies, intensifying to HELLP syndrome when I gave birth to Ella. After Ella’s birth, the nurses and doctor warned me that we (me and Ella) were both lucky to be alive. Not once did they discuss hormones.
Then in my mid 30’s, I suffered 3 consecutive miscarriages. I was completely heartbroken and looking for answers. But, my OB/GYN simply blamed my age and told me my lab results were… you guessed it- normal.
Then at the age of 34, a routine blood lab resulted in a very high cholesterol level. I met with the doctor who wanted to put me on statins (for the rest of my life). I love modern medicine but I only like to lean on pills when there is no other solution.
I asked the doctor what my options were and if he had a recommendation for a nutritionist. Shockingly, he didn’t even have one he could recommend. So, I left his office completely frustrated.
I phoned friends, scoured the internet, and read a few books. I learned that diet and exercise absolutely could help lower cholesterol levels. So, I asked around for recommendations for a good nutritionist and I came across Laura Farnsworth, MS, CNS, CN, LDN.
Laura agreed to meet with me (virtually) and we discussed my concerns. We ended up running more detailed labwork and learned that not only did I suffer from genetic high cholesterol but my hormones were all out of whack.
But, instead of medicine. Laura wanted me to switch to a natural deodorant, and get rid of toxic makeup, haircare, and skincare. She also had me adjust my diet, add a few supplements, reduce stress, get better sleep, and exercise a few times a week.
Shop My Favorite Swaps!
Fast forward to five years later and I no longer deal with acne, no more excessive perspiration, my periods became super regular, and at age 39 I was able to have my healthiest pregnancy & delivery. I am now 42 and I have never felt (or looked better). I even have abs- like what?
So, here is the deal. The 6 steps I am about to share aren’t earth-shattering. They aren’t things you have never heard of. But, if you put in the work and do them routinely they will change your life, at least they did mine.
6 Simple Steps To Help Gain Hormonal Balance
- Clear The Toxins: Step 1 is to toss your deodorant and switch to a natural one. I have tried them all and Primally Pure’s is the absolute best! Get it here and save 10% with code MUNCHKINS10. While you are at it you are also going to want to slowly start replacing most of your skincare, haircare, and makeup for non-toxic options. This is because so many of them contain endocrine disruptors that screw with our hormones. During this process, I leaned on EWG’s database and the app Think Dirty. I eventually switched to Primally Pure for all of my skincare, Ilia, Merit, and Tarte for clean make-up, and I even swapped to Branch Basics for all of our home cleaning products. I finally got them to give me a code- GLOBALMUNCHKINS for 15% off all starter packs, except the trial kit.
- Mindful Nutrition: Balancing the demands of motherhood with nourishing our bodies can be a delicate dance. As we navigate busy schedules and picky eaters, it’s essential to prioritize nutrient-dense foods that support hormone balance. Incorporate plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates into your meals and snacks. Remember the power of meal prep and batch cooking to streamline busy weeknights and ensure wholesome meals are always within reach. I love Clean Simple Eats Meal Guides (get yours here and save 10% with code AMBERMAMIAN) and Lillie Eats & Tells Cookbooks for whole food, macros-balanced meals. As many of you know my son Camden started Mamian Fitness which specializes in helping women with hormonal issues. His personalized macros and fitness plan have been a total game-changer for me! I no longer have shame around eating- I eat more now than ever and I am leaner and stronger than ever too!
- Stress Management: Motherhood often comes hand in hand with stress – whether it’s managing tantrums, juggling schedules, or simply finding a moment of peace in the chaos. Yet, chronic stress can wreak havoc on our hormonal balance, impacting everything from mood to energy levels. Make self-care a non-negotiable part of your routine. Schedule regular breaks for yourself, even if it’s just a few minutes of deep breathing (I use Calm app‘s 10-minute daily meditations) or a quick walk around the block. Enlist the support of loved ones or consider hiring a babysitter for some much-needed time to recharge. Remember, you can’t pour from an empty cup – prioritizing your well-being is essential for the whole family.
- Quality Sleep: Ah, the elusive quest for a good night’s sleep – a challenge familiar to many mothers. Yet, adequate sleep is crucial for hormone regulation and overall health. The Hatch Restore 2 was the best investment I ever made when it came to sleep. The sleep sounds help put you to sleep and keep you asleep. And, the gentle sunrise alarm works with your natural circadian rhythm to help self-proclaimed night owls, like myself, turn into early risers. I wake up at 5 am no problem now and cherish that quiet time to myself each morning. I also learned to embrace the power of a 20-minute nap when needed, and I don’t hesitate to enlist support from Mike or the teens to ensure I get the rest I need. They all know I am better when I am well-rested.
- Herbal Support: Nature has provided us with a treasure trove of herbal remedies to support our hormonal health. From balancing mood swings to easing menstrual discomfort, certain herbs can be valuable allies on our journey to hormonal harmony. Explore options like maca root for energy and vitality, vitex (chaste tree berry) for menstrual support, psyllium husk for ridding your body of excess estrogen, and ashwagandha for stress resilience. *As always, consult with a healthcare professional before introducing herbal supplements, especially if you’re nursing or managing any health conditions. My nutritionist sees patients virtually and I highly recommend her.
- Regular Exercise: Finding time for exercise amidst the demands of motherhood may seem like an impossible feat, but it can make a big difference in our hormonal balance and overall well-being. Embrace opportunities for movement before the kids are awake, during nap time, and even after you put them to bed. For me, that looks like 4 days of strength training (Mamian Fitness can help schedule your workouts like he does mine) and I also try and average 8-10K steps daily.
Amidst the beautiful chaos of motherhood, let us not forget to prioritize our own well-being and honor the incredible journey our bodies undertake each day. By ridding our routine of toxic products, embracing mindful nutrition, stress management techniques, quality sleep, herbal support, and regular exercise, we can nurture our hormones and reclaim balance in our lives.
Let us remember that self-care is not selfish – it is a powerful act of love that allows us to show up as our best selves for those we hold dear. Here’s to embracing the journey of motherhood with grace, resilience, and a whole lot of hormonal harmony.
You Might Also Like:
Pin for Later – The EXACT Steps I Took To Balance My Hormones!
- Complete Tropical Vacation Packing List: Essentials for Sun and Sand! - February 16, 2024
- The EXACT Steps I Took To Balance My Hormones [and have my healthiest pregnancy at age 39] - February 13, 2024
- The Best Things To Do In Oahu with Kids [25 amazing activities] - February 10, 2024