As a mom, I am always looking for ways to keep my kids safe. Which is why when I came across this story about a 2-year-old twin who saves his brother from falling furniture and I immediately felt sick to my stomach. Did you know that according to the CSPC, 1 child dies every 2 weeks due to furniture, TV, or an appliance falling on them? What makes it even scarier is that statistic doesn’t even take into account all of the injuries that happen. With Olivia turning 4 next month and wanting to play in her room all by herself I decided to invest in the SANUS Anti-Tip Strap to help keep Olivia safe. Check out how anchoring furniture and TV’s in your home could help save your child’s life.
This Product Could Save Your Child’s Life- the importance of Anchoring Furniture & TV’s
Thank you to SANUS for sponsoring this post. All thoughts and opinions, as always, are 100% my own.
After reading that scary story I felt it was necessary to learn more about tip over accidents. I came across this Consumer Product Safety Commission Study and was shocked to learn that most fatalities occurred in children between the ages of 1 month to 14 years old. That meant all 5 of my children were in the peak years of this type of accident. How could I have missed this? I felt like a total parent failure for not realizing the importance of anchoring the furniture and TV’s in our home. But, it turns out I am NOT alone. TV and Furniture Tip-Over Accidents are one of the top hidden hazards in the home. The good news is prevention is easy and doesn’t cost much.
5 Ways to Protect Your Children from a Tip-Over Accident in Your Home
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) launched a campaign called “Anchor It” in 2015. Here are the 5 ways they advise consumers to protect their children.
- Buy and install low-cost anchoring devices to prevent TVs, dressers, bookcases or other furniture from tipping.
- Avoid leaving items, such as remote controls and toys, in places where kids might be tempted to climb up to reach for them.
- Store heavier items on lower shelves or in lower drawers.
- Place TVs on a sturdy, low base and push them as far back as possible, particularly if anchoring is not possible.
- If purchasing a new TV, consider recycling older ones not currently used. If moving the older TV to another room, be sure it is anchored properly to the wall.
After reading through the prevention tips I wanted to anchor our furniture ASAP! I came across these Anti-Tip Straps from SANUS and they had excellent ratings on Amazon so I decided to order them. At under $20 it was a very easy decision to make. *Note- We had already previously mounted and secured our TV’s which is the safest route to go when keeping your TV safe but if you can’t mount it the strap is a great alternative for TV’s too.
Our straps arrived promptly and I opened the box to find thick strong straps that felt sturdy and durable which made me feel confident our kids would be protected. The box also included easy to read instructions for installation. Normally, anything to do with the house we have to call my dad out to help, we aren’t the handiest people. But, the SANUS Anti-Tip Straps were so easy to install we did it ourselves in under 15 minutes. Just think 15 minutes of our time and about $20 bucks and our kids are now protected. I can’t think of any reason a parent should not invest in these straps.
Another reason I love SANUS is that they created an amazing resource for parents. It is a website called TVSafety.org that SANUS created along with their retail partners, and Safe Kids Worldwide (a global network of organizations dedicated to providing parents and caregivers with practical and proven resources to protect kids from unintentional injuries, the number one cause of death to children in the United States).
On their site, you can learn more about the eye-opening statistics that surround TV related injuries and ways to prevent the injuries from occurring in your home. They even have an interactive map that allows you to see all of the TV related deaths and injuries near you. I was shocked to see how many accidents had occurred. It seems like this is an issue we all need to talk a lot more about in order to make sure we take the steps necessary to prevent it from happening again. Which is why I took the TVSafety.org pledge to protect and prevent these accidents from happening in my home. They even have simple methods to help spread awareness with one-click links to all my social media channels. With such easy ways to prevent this type of tragedy, there is no reason we all shouldn’t be speaking up. Our kids deserve to be safe in their own homes, and especially in their own bedrooms.
WILL YOU JOIN THE PLEDGE AND ANCHOR YOUR FURNITURE & TV’S?
Pin It for Later-
This post contains affiliate links which means I make a very small commission should you click through and make a purchase with one of my affiliate websites such as Amazon.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of SANUS. The opinions and text are all mine.
Comments submitted may be displayed on other websites owned by the sponsoring brand.
- Complete Tropical Vacation Packing List: Essentials for Sun and Sand! - February 16, 2024
- The EXACT Steps I Took To Balance My Hormones [and have my healthiest pregnancy at age 39] - February 13, 2024
- The Best Things To Do In Oahu with Kids [25 amazing activities] - February 10, 2024