Finding the perfect spring break location can be tricky for families as college craziness takes over some of our favorite destinations. That is why I have put together a list of 15 Spring Break Ideas for Families. Whether you are looking to spend spring break with the fam on the slopes, on a beach or in a saddle… I’ve got an awesome recommendation for you + tips on how to SAVE money when you book below.
15 Spring Break Ideas for Families- luxe trips that won’t break the bank
We only get 18 summers with our kids. We have to make each school vacation count. Here are my 15 FAVORITE spring break ideas for families. I have made sure to include plenty of options to appeal to every member of the family + tips on how to SAVE BIG this spring break on each of them.
Northstar Resort, Tahoe
- This resort is incredibly family-friendly and they have received an EPIC amount of snow this year making it one AMAZING ski destination. Check out all the amazing activities you can do with the kids BOTH on & off the slopes here.
- Tahoe is located near three major airports, you can drive in, or take the train so there are plenty of ways to get there. Southwest flys in which is a great option that is also budget-friendly.
- Plus, RIGHT NOW they are running deals for spring break. You can find lodging as low as $159 a night.
- If you want to go Super Luxe check out the Ritz Carlton at Northstar! It is Amazing. Check Prices Here!
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
- Another super family-friendly ski destination with TONS to do with the kids. Our family enjoyed dog-sledding, bumper cars on ice and snowboarding. Read my ULTIMATE Guide to Steamboat Springs with Kids here.
- Steamboat has some great spring break deals going on including 50% off your second night and 25% off rates and rental packages. See their deals page for details.
Tropical getaways are a favorite among spring breakers. Here are a few spring break ideas for families looking to thaw out. Grab your swimsuit because it’s time for some serious sun.
Disney’s Aulani Resort & Spa
- One of our ALL TIME FAVORITEIE RESORTS is Disney’s Aulani.
- Book a spring break trip right now & SAVE up to 30% off room rates!
- Or Save Big by Renting DVC Points (Disney Vacation Club points). Read my ULTIMATE Guide to Disney’s Aulani to see ALL my tips & tricks for making this luxurious stay more affordable. Including where and how to rent DVC points.
- We LOVE the Complimentary Activities at Aulani including:
- Free kids camp at Aunty’s Beach House
- Incredible Pools
- Gorgeous Beaches
- Fireside Storytelling
- Character meet-ups
- Movies under the stars
- Teen areas & more
All-Inclusive Resorts – One of my fave Spring Break Ideas
Hard Rock Hotel in Cancun
- Mexico is one of my favorite warm weather escapes. The beaches are some of the most gorgeous in the world. There are plenty of affordable luxury resorts that are also kid-friendly and Hard Rock Cancun happens to be one that we could keep going back to OVER & OVER.
- This resort is actually incredibly family-friendly (YES REALLY) they have amazing food, a beautiful beach, and excellent cocktails. Plus a ton of included activities for the kids.
- Included Kid-Friendly Activities at the Hard Rock Cancun:
- Barney, Thomas the Train, Angelina Ballerina and Bob the Builder characters + LIVE Shows
- Awesome Kids Club
- Teen areas with unique experiences like “Learn to DJ”, make a rock band music video.
- Amazing Pools + Beaches
- Poolside crafts, ice cream, water balloon fights & more
- SAVE 40% right now on their special Spring Break deal
- See why Hard Rock Cancun ROCKED our Family Vacation here
- Included Kid-Friendly Activities at the Hard Rock Cancun:
Nickelodeon Resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- My family travel writing friends just came back from a stay at this incredible NEW resort and they cannot say enough wonderful things about it. I hear that it is super luxe, kids activities are separate so you can still feel like you are staying at a gorgeous all-inclusive resort there just happens to be amazing offering for your kids including getting slimed.
- Save up to 50% on Winter Package
- Rates starting at $202 per person per night + you get 2 kids FREE (with 2 paying adults)
- Puerto Vallarta All-Inclusive Deal-
- Travel Zoo has some awesome deals for families in Mexico right now including this one for a 4 star Family Friendly All-Inclusive in Puerto Vallarta.
*Curious to know what the average vacation costs? Check out this great post from Stuffed Suitcase.
Of course, some other awesome spring break ideas for families is to hop on a Caribbean cruise. Right now Disney has some killer sales.
- Book a Guaranteed Space Rate and SAVE OVER A THOUSAND DOLLARS on several different cruises including:
- Just go to the Disney Cruise website > Sort by dates (March + April) and look for “Guaranteed Space Rates”
- Learn more about how to SAVE on a Disney Cruise + Why Disney Cruise is AMAZING for families here.
- Visit this super kid-friendly town in the spring and get the added benefit of seeing the Cherry Blossoms in bloom + fewer crowds
- DC has a ton of FREE museums to explore, parks perfect for picnics and you get the added benefit of squeezing in a few awesome history lessons too!
- Check current rates on Family-Friendly Washington DC Hotels here.
- Seattle has a ton to offer traveling families including the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, and Frye Museum.
- Find great rates on flights to Seattle here.
- Check out current deals for Family-Friendly Seattle Hotels here.
Tanque Verde Ranch
- If you are looking to do something new that is both an amazing experience and also an incredible lesson in bravery and independence I CANNOT recommend Tanque Verde Ranch enough. It’s WONDERFUL!!!
- I wasn’t sure that my family would like a dude ranch experience. My boys (and husband) had ZERO riding experience. But, it ended up being our favorite vacation in 2015. Read all about our experience here.
- This AMAZING resort is also ALL-INCLUSIVE so meals, lodging, riding lessons, trail rides, kids club and more are included and during Spring Break they are running some fantastic promotions.
There are some destinations that really help stretch your disposable income. I have found that Puerto Rico + Costa Rica are two such destinations making them awesome spring break ideas for families.
- Just like the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico can be visited by US citizens without needing a passport, worrying about language or exchanging any money.
- My choice resort when visiting Puerto Rico with kids is Waldorf Astoria’s El Conquistador Resort.
- Why the El Con Resort is GREAT for Families:
- Private island with tons of activities including kayaking, horseback riding & more!
- On-site Water Park
- Tons of Pools
- Kids Club (extra fees apply)
- Foot Golf- it’s like soccer and golf combined and is a BLAST for the whole fam
- A really cool Scavenger Hunt activity and so much more!!
- Currently, El Con Resort has accommodations starting at $156 per night, they have a special offer that includes a complimentary 4th night, they have a “kids eat free” package and an all-inclusive option as well.
- You can also book your stay with Hilton points
- Hiltons HONORS Credit Card members can also redeem one of their FREE weekend passes for a stay and it’s a great value.
- Check out my ULTIMATE Guide to El Conquistador Resort here.
- Check Prices for El Conquistador Here!
- Our first ever adventure type travel trip was to Costa Rica and it was INCREDIBLE!!!
- Book an Airbnb Rental to save on accommodations, food and activities are already offered at incredible values once you are there 🙂
- Check out some of our Costa Rica experiences here
*Camping is another low-cost trip typically. Check out this post on Car Camping Trips.
Staycation Ideas for SoCal Residents
Loews Coronado Bay Resort-
- Located on Coronado Island in San Diego California this hotel offers SO MUCH for local SoCal families to do.
- Excellent pools
- Beach service (they actually take you and your fam over to a gorgeous beach in a golf cart and help set up chairs etc… for you)
- Kids Club (seasonal)
- Gifts for the kids (when available)
- + they are Pet-Friendly too!
- When you stay at Loews Coronado Bay you also can easily visit the SD Zoo, Balboa Park Museums, Petco Park Baseball Games, Hiking & More!
- Check out our ULTIMATE GUIDE to Coronado with Kids + a Review of the Coronado Bay Resort here.
- Check out Prices for Loews Coronado Beach Resort Here!
- There is a TON to do with kids in LA contrary to popular belief. I lived there for several years and I absolutely LOVE visiting this wonderful area with my kids.
- Check out great rates on Family-Friendly Hotels here
- While in LA make sure to visit the LACMA, the Getty Museum, the Santa Monica Pier and the beach.
Arizona Spring Break Training
- There are 3 Family-Friendly Resorts we recommend when visiting AZ with kids in tow.
- 1) The Arizona Grand
- We love their on-site water park and super fun family restaurant, where kids get to enter the restaurant by wearing a bull horn hat and sliding down a slide.
- Check out Why we LOVE this resort in further detail by reading this post here.
- Find current rates for the Arizona Grand here.
- 2) Loews Ventana Hotel
- 3) Hilton El Conquistador
What is YOUR Favorite Spring Break Destination for Families??