Finding the perfect spring break location can be tricky for families as college craziness takes over some of our favorite destinations. That is why I have put together a list of 21 Spring Break Ideas for Families. Whether you are looking to spend spring break with the fam on the slopes, on a beach or in a saddle… I’ve got an awesome recommendation for you + tips on how to SAVE money when you book below.
21 Spring Break Ideas for Families- luxe trips that won’t break the bank
We only get 18 summers with our kids. We have to make each school vacation count. Here are my 20 FAVORITE spring break ideas for families. I have made sure to include plenty of options to appeal to every member of the family + tips on how to SAVE BIG this spring break on each of them. When you are looking for the best spring break destinations for families you need to think first about the type of trip you want to have!
Spring Break Ideas – Ski Trips
Northstar Resort, Tahoe
- This resort is incredibly family-friendly and they have received an EPIC amount of snow this year making it one AMAZING ski destination. Check out all the amazing activities you can do with the kids BOTH on & off the slopes here.
- Tahoe is located near three major airports, you can drive in, or take the train so there are plenty of ways to get there. Southwest flys in which is a great option that is also budget-friendly.
- Plus, RIGHT NOW they are running deals for spring break. You can find lodging as low as $159 a night.
- If you want to go Super Luxe check out the Ritz Carlton at Northstar! It is Amazing. Check Prices Here!
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
- Another super family-friendly ski destination with TONS to do with the kids. Our family enjoyed dog-sledding, bumper cars on ice and snowboarding. Read my ULTIMATE Guide to Steamboat Springs with Kids here.
- Steamboat has some great spring break deals going on including 50% off your second night and 25% off rates and rental packages. See their deals page for details.
Park City, Utah
- We have now taken three ski trips to Park City and we are excited to go again this year for spring break in 2019. Main St. is absolutely adorable.
- If you have 5th & 6th Graders Park City has an amazing pass which is only $45 and your 5th or 6th grader can ski at 13 amazing resorts. Check it out here!
- If you want to go luxe but still have it affordable, check out the Silver Baron Lodge in Deer Valley
- Each room comes with its own hot tub, and the rooms are massive. Our room slept over 16 people.
- Check out my full Deer Valley review here!
Solitude Mountain, Utah
- Just down the road from Park City is Solitude Mountain Resort. The thing I love about Solitude Mountain is that it is not as crowded as some of the park city resorts.
- We found ourselves skiing down the mountain more because we were waiting in much smaller lines.
- There are also some delicious bites to eat in Solitude, check out the Honeycomb Restaurant it is worth a visit.
- Also, getting some Ski Lessons, ask for Helen, she is 81 years old (yes 81) and the best ski instructor you’ll ever have.
- If you are looking for the most scenic spring break idea, you can’t find a more beautiful place than Banff, Canada. This is probably my favorite place I have visited in years.
- There is so much more to do than skiing (you can check out my things to do in Banff review here)
- Looking for a luxurious place to stay for your family. Check out the Moose Lodge & Suites, the rooms can sleep up to 10 people and the rooftop pool and spa are definitely worth a visit.
Tropical getaways are a favorite among spring breakers. Here are a few spring break ideas for families looking to thaw out. Grab your swimsuit because it’s time for some serious sun.
Disney’s Aulani Resort & Spa – One of the Best Spring Break Destinations
- One of our ALL TIME FAVORITE RESORTS is Disney’s Aulani.
- Book a spring break trip right now & SAVE up to 30% off room rates!
- Or Save Big by Renting DVC Points (Disney Vacation Club points). Read my ULTIMATE Guide to Disney’s Aulani to see ALL my tips & tricks for making this luxurious stay more affordable. Including where and how to rent DVC points.
- We LOVE the Complimentary Activities at Aulani including:
- Free kids camp at Aunty’s Beach House
- Incredible Pools
- Gorgeous Beaches
- Fireside Storytelling
- Character meet-ups
- Movies under the stars
- Teen areas & more
If you need help planning and booking your magical Aulani vacation, contact our friends at Tink’s Magical Vacations. They are truly Disney Experts, and not only are their services FREE, but they will save you both time and money. So all the prices listed above, they can usually match it or beat it, plus provide incredible service.
Margaritaville – Hollywood Fl.
I recently got to visit Margaritaville in Hollywood Florida and all I have to say is WOW! This is a perfect destination for families with kids of all ages. First off, there is a FREE Kid’s Club for kids ages 3-12, so mom and dad can sit back and relax by the pool and check out the incredible beach while the kids are having a blast in the kid’s club. The resort is also right on the boardwalk so you and the family can hop on one of their free bike rentals and cruise the boardwalk.
In addition to those amenities, there is a FlowRider to practice your surfing or boogie boarding skills, amazing beachside and poolside cabanas. And for all those foodies out there, this was some of the best food I have had in a hotel. Plus of course, you have to have the world’s biggest flip flop and some pretty great tunes playing throughout the resort.
Margaritaville truly is an amazing resort they have properties all over the U.S., the Caribbean and Costa Rica. Check Current Prices Here! Or check out our 7 Reasons Why Families Will Love Margaritaville Hollywood Beach here.
Kona Kai Resort & Spa in San Diego
My husband and I stayed at the recently renovated Kona Kai Resort & Spa last year and absolutely fell in love. You can’t beat the amazing location on San Diego’s historic Shelter Island (just 10 minutes from the San Diego airport). It is the perfect place for families because you are close to all of the popular San Diego attractions too!
Plus, the property boasts a great kid-friendly pool (and the NEW Paloma Adults-Only Pool too!), private beach,7,020-square-foot state-of-the-art spa, an incredible restaurant on property, complimentary beach cruisers, and nightly bonfires. Plus, the views of the marina are just gorgeous and oh, so peaceful too!
Stay Four or More- Guests who book four or more nights at the resort will receive a $300 resort credit and a cabana rental at the new Paloma Pool and Bar overlooking the Kona Kai Marina, steps away from the new luxury suites. The credit can be used for additional amenities at the hotel, such as brunch at Vessel featuring bottomless mimosas and live music every Saturday and Sunday, signature cocktails enjoyed at the pool or bar, stand-up paddle boarding, couples massages and more.
SoCal Suite-ness- The resort’s new spacious, waterfront, adjoining suites are the perfect coastal accommodations to keep the family close this spring break, but with enough space to relax. The SoCal Suiteness package offers guests the following:
- Two of the resort’s brand-new waterfront suites
- Adventure credit for water sports of $100 per day
- A couple’s amenity and kids’ amenity
- Poolside cabana rental
Spring it On- This package provides all you need for a fun and stress-free getaway for the whole family. The package includes:
- Daily breakfast credit for four
- A daily $100 adventure credit to enjoy all the amenities and activities the resort has to offer, such as kayaking, pedal boats, or Jet Ski rentals
All-Inclusive Resorts – One of my fave Spring Break Ideas
Hard Rock Hotel in Cancun – One of our Most Surprising Spring Break Ideas for Families
- Mexico is one of my favorite warm weather escapes. The beaches are some of the most gorgeous in the world. There are plenty of affordable luxury resorts that are also kid-friendly and Hard Rock Cancun happens to be one that we could keep going back to OVER & OVER.
- This resort is actually incredibly family-friendly (YES REALLY) they have amazing food, a beautiful beach, and excellent cocktails. Plus a ton of included activities for the kids.
- Included Kid-Friendly Activities at the Hard Rock Cancun:
- Barney, Thomas the Train, Angelina Ballerina and Bob the Builder characters + LIVE Shows
- Awesome Kids Club
- Teen areas with unique experiences like “Learn to DJ”, make a rock band music video.
- Amazing Pools + Beaches
- Poolside crafts, ice cream, water balloon fights & more
- SAVE 40% right now on their special Spring Break deal
- See why Hard Rock Cancun ROCKED our Family Vacation here
- Included Kid-Friendly Activities at the Hard Rock Cancun:
Nickelodeon Resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- My family travel writing friends just came back from a stay at this incredible NEW resort and they cannot say enough wonderful things about it. I hear that it is super luxe, kids activities are separate so you can still feel like you are staying at a gorgeous all-inclusive resort there just happens to be amazing offering for your kids including getting slimed.
- Save up to 50% on Winter Package
- Rates starting at $202 per person per night + you get 2 kids FREE (with 2 paying adults)
- Puerto Vallarta All-Inclusive Deal-
- Travel Zoo has some awesome deals for families in Mexico right now including this one for a 4 star Family Friendly All-Inclusive in Puerto Vallarta.
*Curious to know what the average vacation costs? Check out this great post from Stuffed Suitcase.
Cruises – The Ultimate Spring Break Idea for families with extended family
Traveling with extended family can be difficult. We have traveled numerous times with around 25 of us and I have to say the easiest by far is doing a cruise. No restaurants to worry about and everybody can do their own thing throughout the day and then meet up for dinner. Right now Disney has some killer sales.
Disney Cruises –
- Book a Guaranteed Space Rate and SAVE OVER A THOUSAND DOLLARS on several different cruises including:
- Just go to the Disney Cruise website > Sort by dates (March + April) and look for “Guaranteed Space Rates”
- Learn more about how to SAVE on a Disney Cruise + Why Disney Cruise is AMAZING for families here.
When it comes to booking a Disney cruise I highly recommend checking out Tink’s Magical Vacations. They booked our last cruise, saved us a ton of money and helped book every detail of the cruise for us. It was amazing.
Washington DC – One of our favorite places to go for Spring Break
- Visit this super kid-friendly town in the spring and get the added benefit of seeing the Cherry Blossoms in bloom + fewer crowds
- DC has a ton of FREE museums to explore, parks perfect for picnics and you get the added benefit of squeezing in a few awesome history lessons too!
- Check current rates on Family-Friendly Washington DC Hotels here.
- Seattle has a ton to offer traveling families including the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, and Frye Museum.
- Find great rates on flights to Seattle here.
- Check out current deals for Family-Friendly Seattle Hotels here.
Tanque Verde Ranch
- If you are looking to do something new that is both an amazing experience and also an incredible lesson in bravery and independence I CANNOT recommend Tanque Verde Ranch enough. It’s WONDERFUL!!!
- I wasn’t sure that my family would like a dude ranch experience. My boys (and husband) had ZERO riding experience. But, it ended up being our favorite vacation in 2015. Read all about our experience here.
- This AMAZING resort is also ALL-INCLUSIVE so meals, lodging, riding lessons, trail rides, kids club and more are included and during Spring Break they are running some fantastic promotions.
Knoxville & Chattanooga Tennessee
Tennesse might night be on the top of your list, but let me tell you, it’s an absolute blast. We visited both Knoxville and Chattanooga and both cities could not be more beautiful and more kid-friendly.
In Knoxville, check out the Ijams Nature Center. This is not your typical ziplining, there is an amazing ropes course and you are set back amongst thousands of trees. For little ones, the zoo is absolutely adorable and the Muse children’s museum is a ton of fun. When you are hungry, head over to Market square, it’s a great place to grab a bite to eat and just hang out.
Where to Stay:
I recommend staying at THE TENNESSEAN, the rooms are beautiful and they have super spacious double king rooms with two showers for families.
Over in Chattanooga, there is a ton of activities to do and so many are withing walking distance. The highlight of our trip was high-point climbing. It is one of the biggest rock climbing gyms. It is perfect for families as it has different areas for small kids and older kids as well. If you are daring head outside and climb their outdoor climbing wall.
You should also check out the Tennessee Aquarium, Children’s Museum, Rocky Point and Ruby Falls.
Where to Stay:
I recommend staying at The Read House. It is a throwback to the days of the Great Gatsby. The hotel has corner double rooms so if you have a large family you can turn the two rooms into a giant suite. There is a great indoor pool, and honestly, you can’t beat the service.
There are some destinations that really help stretch your disposable income. I have found that Puerto Rico + Costa Rica are two such destinations making them awesome spring break ideas for families.
- Just like the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico can be visited by US citizens without needing a passport, worrying about language or exchanging any money.
- My choice resort when visiting Puerto Rico with kids is Waldorf Astoria’s El Conquistador Resort.
- Why the El Con Resort is GREAT for Families:
- Private island with tons of activities including kayaking, horseback riding & more!
- On-site Water Park
- Tons of Pools
- Kids Club (extra fees apply)
- Foot Golf- it’s like soccer and golf combined and is a BLAST for the whole fam
- A really cool Scavenger Hunt activity and so much more!!
- Currently, El Con Resort has accommodations starting at $156 per night, they have a special offer that includes a complimentary 4th night, they have a “kids eat free” package and an all-inclusive option as well.
- You can also book your stay with Hilton points
- Hiltons HONORS Credit Card members can also redeem one of their FREE weekend passes for a stay and it’s a great value.
- Check out my ULTIMATE Guide to El Conquistador Resort here.
- Check Prices for El Conquistador Here!
- Our first ever adventure type travel trip was to Costa Rica and it was INCREDIBLE!!!
- Book an Airbnb Rental to save on accommodations, food and activities are already offered at incredible values once you are there 🙂
- Check out some of our Costa Rica experiences here
*Camping is another low-cost trip typically. Check out this post on Car Camping Trips.
Southern California & Arizona Spring Break Ideas
Loews Coronado Bay Resort-
- Located on Coronado Island in San Diego California this hotel offers SO MUCH for local SoCal families to do.
- Excellent pools
- Beach service (they actually take you and your fam over to a gorgeous beach in a golf cart and help set up chairs etc… for you)
- Kids Club (seasonal)
- Gifts for the kids (when available)
- + they are Pet-Friendly too!
- When you stay at Loews Coronado Bay you also can easily visit the SD Zoo, Balboa Park Museums, Petco Park Baseball Games, Hiking & More!
- Check out our ULTIMATE GUIDE to Coronado with Kids + a Review of the Coronado Bay Resort here.
- Check out Prices for Loews Coronado Beach Resort Here!
- There is a TON to do with kids in LA contrary to popular belief. I lived there for several years and I absolutely LOVE visiting this wonderful area with my kids.
- Check out great rates on Family-Friendly Hotels here
- While in LA make sure to visit the LACMA, the Getty Museum, the Santa Monica Pier and the beach.
Arizona Spring Break Training
- There are 3 Family-Friendly Resorts we recommend when visiting AZ with kids in tow.
- 1) The Arizona Grand
- We love their on-site water park and super fun family restaurant, where kids get to enter the restaurant by wearing a bull horn hat and sliding down a slide.
- Check out Why we LOVE this resort in further detail by reading this post here.
- Find current rates for the Arizona Grand here.
- 2) Loews Ventana Hotel
- 3) Hilton El Conquistador
The Iconic Disney World Vacation
You might be saying to yourself, How is Disney World Luxe? How is Disney World Cheap? You are very right about both questions but there actually is a way.
- Disney has 9 Deluxe Properties on their property, our personal favorites are Beach Club and Animal Kingdom. When you book a room through a DVC Member you can save close to 50% on your room. We highly recommend people use David’s Vacation Rentals to book their rooms and save 50% off as they have the largest inventory of DVC Rooms. You can read more about booking a DVC room here.
- 9 Fascinating Facts I Wish I Knew Before Booking a DVC Rental
For more cheap vacation ideas check out We3Travel’s article over here.
What is YOUR Favorite Spring Break Destination for Families??